News Letter Editorial
Subscribe to our newsletter
A Brief Introduction of Bejon Kumar Misra International Consumer Policy Expert
- Born in Jamshedpur, India in 1951 and acquired degree from Senior Cambridge Board and subsequently Degree in Business Management with Marketing as major from Banaras Hindu University in the year 1971. Awarded "Distinguished Alumni Award" in 2012 by the Faculty of Management Studies, BHU. The World No-Tobacco Day 2013 Award Winner from the South-East Asia Region of World Health Organisation (WHO). Recognized by National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) as a Rural Innovator on improving access to safe drinking water. Conferred with “BHAMASHAH AWARD” for service to the consumers by the Confederation of All India Traders (CAIT) in 2013. On 1st August 2014 was invited by Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India to be part of a 4 Member Expert Committee to suggest to the Government on how to tackle the nexus between Diagnostics Centres/Pharmaceutical Companies and the Medical Practioners/Hospitals. The report submitted on 25th September 2014.
- 43+ years of professional career starting from Kolkata as a Marketing Executive with TATA Steel in the year 1971 and subsequently became an entrepreneur in Jamshedpur in the Travel Industry & Leasing Business.
- 31+ years in the consumer education and advocacy as a volunteer in the Consumer movement in India since 1983 as the founder Managing Trustee of the Consumer Guidance Society of Jamshedpur. At present Founder Trustee of Consumer Online Foundation, Healthy You Foundation and Partnership for Safe Medicines (PSM) India Initiative. Chairman of Cell for Consumer Education & Advocacy (CCEA) Society and Executive Committee Member of Consumers’ Forum, Delhi. Also Chairman & Managing Director of a rural hospital project in Uttar Pradesh by the name of New Era Patient Friendly Hospital Pvt. Ltd. and Consumer Empowerment under Hamara Consumer Dost Private Limited.
- 16+ years as an International Expert on User (Consumer) Focus for developing Strategies and capacity building programs in developing countries on Quality Management Systems for public and private organisations. Have been engaged as a short term consultant with UNDP, UNICEF, UNCTAD, WHO, World Bank, GIZ, British Council, DFID, GAIN & EPOS working on consumer protection policies and customer centric culture within the organisation.
- Traveled abroad in more than 32 countries to study issues concerning consumer protection policies as member of delegations and missions.
- Attended all the six Intergovernmental Negotiations on the Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC) at Geneva from 2000 to 2003.
- Signatory Founder Governing Council Member and Former Chairman of Consumer Coordination Council (CCC), the National Coalition of 70 leading Consumer Organisations of India. As the Chairman of CCC initiated several innovative projects with Government of India like the JAGO GRAHAK JAGO Multi-Media Campaign and the Consumer Online Resource and Empowerment Centre (core.nic.in). Member of the First Constituted Central Consumer Protection Council (CCPC) and the Bihar State Consumer Protection Council in 1987 as per the provision of the Consumer Protection Act 1986.
- Former Member of the Food Safety & Standards Authority of India, constituted in 2008 as per the provisions of the FS&S Act 2006. Former Governing Council Member, Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE), Government of India, Former Chairman, Consumer Advisory Council of Max Healthcare. Member Haemovigilance Advisory Committee & Member Drug Survey Core Expert Committee, Government of India. Member of the Consumer Complaints Council (CCC) of the Advertising Standards Council of India (ASCI) and served as a member on several working groups on Government Policies like the Mashelkar Committee for Review of Drugs Regulatory System and Tandon Committee on the Scientific and Technological Measures to Counter Spurious and Sub-standard Drugs and Diagnostic Centres in India.
- Represented Consumers International (CI) in various international negotiations as a member and head of CI delegations at various international committee meetings of Codex Alimentarius Commission, World Health Organisation (WHO), World Health Assembly (WHA), Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC) & International Conference on Renewable Energies. Member of the International Alliance of Patients’ Organisation (IAPO), London.
- Represented India as the member of the Indian delegation as a consumer representative at the Codex Alimentarius Commission (CAC) and the Codex Committee on Food Labeling (CCFL) and ISO meetings abroad. In November 2004 lead the Indian delegation at ISO, TC 126/WG 9 Meeting at Geneva.
- Published several research papers on consumer behavior and perspectives on complaint handling mechanisms, accessibility, affordability and quality of service related issues on Medicines, Electricity, Water, Banking, Insurance, Health Care, Telecom and others for the World Bank, WHO and National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority (NPPA) and Government of India. Recently authored and published several books like “Safety Issues Concerning Storage Water Purifiers” and “Direct Selling: Is It ethical?”. Presently working on the subject of “How Technology can Play a Role to Empower the Indian Consumer to recognize Safe and Quality Products and Services”. Also working on issues concerning GOOD GOVERNANCE by preparing an INDEX to Measure the MOST Consumer-Friendly State(s) in India.
F-9, 2nd Floor, Kailash Colony, New Delhi 110048, India
Phone: + 91-11-40537140 | Mobile: +91-9811044424 & 9311044424
Email ID: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more details, please visit www.bejonmisra.com